Thursday, March 10, 2011

Our 1st Appointment

So we went to the fertility specialist today. He was really nice and very thorough. We sat and talked for nearly an hour about our personal medical histories, my family’s medical history, and all of the possible things that could have gone wrong with my lost pregnancies. He did an exam, which included an ultrasound of my reproductive organs. Everything from my exam looked perfect (except that he, like my regular OB, suggested I could lose a little weight). ((SIGH)) YES, I know…and I’m working on that!


At the end of the appointment, we were given the option to undergo more tests OR walk out of the office and go ahead and start trying to conceive again. I didn’t even blink when I said, I wanted any relevant test done. I want to be as informed as possible going into my next pregnancy. Given my history of losses, we were told that the possibility of me walking out without any testing and getting pregnant again and having another miscarriage AFTER a confirmed pregnancy were 40%!!! Even with everything APPEARING to be perfect, it was still 40%. That made both B and I very uncomfortable.

So the doctor gave us the list of tests that would be performed.

I have to go and get blood drawn. They will be checking for everything from clotting disorders to abnormal insulin levels and anything in between. Then, in a few weeks I will be going in for a “dye” test. They will literally inject a dye into my reproductive organs and make sure that there are no abnormalities or obstructions in my tubes (which might explain my ectopic pregnancy, and put me at a high risk of another ectopic in the future).

Now during the entire appointment my husband sat unassumingly, only speaking when spoken too. As far as he was concerned, he was there for moral support and nothing else. Needless to say he was a bit shocked and became extremely uncomfortable when the doctor handed him a little plastic cup and told him that he would be running tests on B’s “contributions” as well. To say my husband was caught off guard was quite the understatement.

It was all I could do to contain the giggles as he sat stiffly in his chair, nodding and listening to the doctor’s instructions. I have been poked and prodded and endured more embarrassing procedures than I can count. As small as this was, it felt good to know that he was going to have to experience just a small portion of what I have in the last few years.

The whole process of performing the tests and waiting for the results will take one to two months, which really works out well anyway, since my body needs at least that much time to recover from this last pregnancy. I’m not really sure what to expect, but I’m very excited that we are on our way to (hopefully) getting more information that will help us to bring that 40% down to a number that is a little less daunting.

Thank you to those of you who have showered us with prayers, love and support. We covet them more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment